Villa Bossi, historic villa in Bodio Lomnago, is an architectural complex consisting of a typical structure of the sixteenth century and an important wing rebuilt in the eighteenth century, and consists of forty-six rooms. It is a listed building under the law for the protection of national architectural heritage, among which it is classified as “building of particular historical importance”.
Bossi family’s house in Bodio was built in 1538 around an earlier structure, probably a medieval fortress with a watchtower, and it belonged to the Bossi family for over four centuries, rare event and of particular historic interest.
The northern wing of the villa, overlooking the street and the Lake Varese, was intended to the family businesses, among which that of caneparo, namely salt dealer. For the preservation of fish, anglers followed the majestic "Viale dei Pioppi" (Avenue of Poplars) that links the lake to the villa and purchased salt from the Bossi family.
The southern building body consisted, during those centuries, only of the “Casa del Torchio”, basement room where grapes from the family's land planted with wines were trodden. After an important restructuring, this place, presently called "Antica Cantina" (Old Cellar), has regained the sixteenth-century charm.
About the middle of the eighteenth century the Bossi family moved, with their business, to Milan and chose to rearrange the villa in order to convert it into a holiday residence, exclusively for residential use. Then, they built, southward, above the "Casa del Torchio", a new wing in a typical eighteenth century style, and with the intention to transfer to the south the access to the villa, it was equipped with a wonderful Italian-style Garden.
The garden is accessed through the wide park located on the hill called "La Mirabella", where valuable trees have grown over the centuries.
At the beginning of the nineteenth century, a new body was added to separate the main court from the rustic courtyard, and it was used as coach house and depot for hunting equipment.
Another important architectural feature is the tower, which allows recognizing Villa Bossi from Varese. Collapsed at an earlier time, it was rebuilt, higher, in 1844, early example of the Lombard neo-gothic style that inspired its country residence to the idea of the castle.
In the twentieth century, the last of the Bossi family sold the villa to the great soprano Gina Cigna, one of the most important protagonists of the twentieth century opera scene, later recognized as "the best performer of the role of Turandot in the Twentieth century".
The villa from Mrs. Cigna passed in the hands of the Milanese family of Gadola-Beltrami, that took great care of the villa, avoiding in this way the degradation of the property. During the second World War, Filippo Beltrami felt the duty to fight in the ranks of partisans and died fighting in Piedmont. He is remembered as the "Captain", and Bodio Lomnago has dedicated a street to him.
In 2007, the Bizzi family bought Villa Bossi and underwent a major conservative restoration, with the aim of turning it into an international music centre, in a place of culture and hospitality, in a reference point for the organization of private and company events.